Best Health Insurance in France for Foreigners - Medic Bulletin
Best Health Insurance in France for Foreigners

Best Health Insurance in France for Foreigners

Because no one has complete control of his or her own health, it is important to know and get the best health insurance in France for foreigners when travelling for whatever reason such as business, vacation, studies et cetera.

Through taxation, universal health insurance in France is funded. They have an excellent healthcare delivery system, hence the reason the World Health Organisation ranked it high as one of the healthiest countries in the world.

In addition to this, you can pay for additional French health insurance, known as ‘mutuelle’ and this is to offset additional health and medical costs. 70% of this is covered by the state, while the patient covers the remaining 30%. Good thing is that this works out to about 7 Euros. This ‘mutuelle’ also covers much bigger expenses like physiotherapy and private hospital room accommodations.

Health Insurance Plan for Foreigners in France

You need to know where foreigners fit in this French healthcare system. The 2016 new regulation seems favourable to foreigners. Any ex-pat who has stayed in France for at least three uninterrupted months, and who desires to live permanently can apply for public health coverage.

The old medical insurance system known as Couverture Maladie Universelle (CMU) is now Protection Universelle Maladie (PUMA).
In this new France health insurance system, ex-pats or foreigners is eligible to apply only if they meet the following criteria:

  • if have been in the country for less than five years
  • do not have paid job
  • if less than 65 yeasrs of age
  • do not receive pension from a European country.

Students who are not European and that are more than 28 years old and who do not have salaries are eligible for this.

It is important that you understand this new regulation.

Best Private International Health Insurance in France for Foreigners

International private health insurance has additional benefits when compared to local insurance plans. The first benefit is that they cover you globally, anywhere in the world. They are also more detailed and provide access to different French healthcare facilities and doctors.
For foreigners moving to France, we recommend two options.

Cigna Global

This is a leading global health insurance company. Their services are good and they offer great benefits. They offer a plan allowing you to choose different modules based on your needs and budget.

Eligibility

This is available to all nationalities living abroad. However, the minimum age requirement is 18 years. However, those living in Cuba, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iran, Israel, Libya, Sudan, or Syria are not accepted. In the same manner, residents of Afghanistan, Cuba, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, North Korea, Singapore, Sudan, Syria, or Thailand are not accepted.

U.S. citizens living in Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands are not eligible

GeoBlue Xplorer

This is mainly for US citizens living abroad. The services and benefits are similar to Cigna. They boast of high-quality doctors globally. They offer the services in partnership with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of America.

Eligibility

A citizen of the U.S. moving abroad and foreigners relocating to the United States are eligible.
Must be up to 74 years of age.
Also, a worker in a U.S. company is also eligible if the company is in a U.S. state and the company pays the insurance premium.

Even in the US, those living in New York, Maryland, Washington, and South Dakota are not eligible.

Similarly, those living in Afghanistan, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, DRC, Chad, Cuba, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Libya, Mali, Niger, North Korea, Pakistan, Palestine, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Venezuela, and Yemen are not eligible.

In our subsequent posts, we shall be discussing other health insurance organisations in France.

You can as well look at Best HMO in Nigeria; Health Maintenance Organisation

Click here for further reading

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.